August 6, 2016

lately / vol. seven


✚ Listening
"Soon Soon" by Tom Rosenthal
Interstellar Soundtrack by Hans Zimmer (forever listening to this) 
"Gold" by James Vincent McMorrow
"Venus" by Sleeping At Last


 ✚ Reading
Out of the Silent Planet by C.S. Lewis: I've been meaning to read this book for a while now and so far it has not been disappointing in the least bit. The writing is incredibly enjoyable and the plot is captivating. Any fantasy book set in outer space written by Lewis is a must read. I'm also reading through The Wes Anderson Collection by Matt Zoller Seitz; Wes is a huge inspiration to me and it is absolutely incredible looking at his storyboard sketches, reading exclusive interviews, and just getting a peak into his magical creative world. Speaking of filmmaking, I'm also beginning to read Rebel Without a Crew by Robert Rodriguez. hmmm seems like someone might be making a short film sometime soon doesn't it ... ;)




 Watching 
Earlier this week I got stitches on my foot and have been stranded on the sofa, so naturally I seized the opportunity to guiltlessly binge watch a couple shows on netflix. The first of these being "Stranger Things" by the Duffer brothers; there has been a great deal of positive talk about this new show as of late and I do not regret indulging. Inspired by 70s/80s mystery movies (think "E.T.", "The Goonies", "Stand by Me", and "Super 8"), it thoroughly captivated me and all eight episodes were consumed within a twenty hour period. After finishing that show, I decided to give "Gilmore Girls" a try. This show came out the year I was born so I guess I'm a bit late to the party, but it has pleasantly surprised me and apparently I like it a lot since I'm already on episode fifteen and only began it two days ago. Oops. Another popular film I had never seen until recently is "Jaws"; I'm not sure why I hadn't previously watched it but it is now among my favorite films. The cinematography is just ridiculously perfect. One more film I just watched for the first time is "Hot Rod". If you're looking for a Napoleon Dynamite/Wes Anderson hybrid and some new movie quotes for your repertoire, this film is exactly what you're looking for.


Right around this time of year I start longing for Autumn - raindrops on my window, flaming leaves, reading by candlelight, and Bon Iver on repeat. Ah nothing inspires me quite like fall does. 
On the subject of seasons, this summer has been just lovely. It has not been too hot nor too cold - actually a nearly perfect medium. Last weekend I went to a four day summer camp by the lake with my church's youth group. We had dance parties at midnight (as one does), went on a canoeing adventure, swam in the middle of the lake, played lots of games, and worshipped Jesus loudly. Standing in a small chapel surrounded by people who are singing praises at the top of their lungs and practically dancing with joy feels like a little glimpse of heaven. Honestly, worship songs can never be too long.

How have you all been? How have you been spending your days?

x Elle

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will appear here if it is approved. Thanks!