September 11, 2013

How To Do VSCOcam Effects in Photoshop


I recently fell in love with the iPhone app 'VSCOcam' (you've probably noticed if you're following me on Instagram), and I've been using it on every single one of my Instagram posts. I love it so much, that I wanted to edit my blog photos with it, which was a bit of a hassle, so I decided to try to recreate the effect with Photoshop. 
It took me a while to figure out how to do it well, since I am a bit of an amateur when it comes to Photoshop, but I finally got it right and I think it is a close enough replica.

Here's how you can edit your photos with a VSCO effect in Photoshop...


After you have opened the photo in Photoshop that you want to edit, click 'Image > Adjustments > Exposure'. Now, this part really depends on the photo that you are editing, so you may have to tweak the numbers slightly, but for the photo that I was editing, I changed 'Offset' to +0.1200 and 'Gamma' to 1.29 to create a VSCO looking effect. Simple as that!
As I said, the numbers will vary depending on the original exposure of your photo, but it should be easy to figure out what looks right.

If you want a VSCO black and white, effect, it's just as easy! Here's how...


Change 'Offset' to +0.0500 and 'Gamma' to 1.36, then desaturate your photo. Again, the numbers may vary depending on your original photo, so you may have to play around to get the right effect.


After you have desaturated the photo, open up 'Exposure' again and change 'Offset' to +0.0600. And there you go! You have yourself a replica of a VSCO effect.

I hope that you found this useful...please feel free to let me know if you have any questions or comments. Also, do keep in mind that I know nearly nothing about Photoshop, so I apologize if I did something wrong or stupid...I tend to do that. ;)

xo Rachelle

17 comments:

  1. Recently I have been editing my blogphotos with VSCO cam on my iPod, but it's so difficult to edit normal sized photo's on such a small screen! This tutorial is so helpful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was doing the same thing, and it was also a big hassle to email the photos to my iPod, then back to my computer, so I thought Photoshop would be more convenient. I'm so glad to hear that it helped you! :)

      Delete
  2. Oh yes, I do love VSCO- it is such an amazing effect! Alex

    tobebeautifulingodseyes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog!
    I have tagged you in the Liester awards.
    Read my latest post for the questions you need to answer and dont forget to comment on the post your link once you have completed it so i can read and comment back http://beauandbelleblog.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/liebster-awards.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi I have put your button on my blog, visit my blog- beauandbelleblog.blogspot.co.uk and please add mine to yours:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice! I have yet to learn how to use Photoshop... Haha I'm so late on all of that. Love your blog! I'm your 100th follower! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so so so much Amanda for being my 100th follower!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this post! :) Thank You for the tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  8. This has been super helpful! Thank you very much! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Which photoshop did you use?? Please answer ASAP!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Which photoshop did you use? Answer ASAP please!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Replies
    1. It's CS2. I haven't updated in a while, I know. ;)

      Delete
  12. This is amazing. Thanks for sharing! :) I love the vsco filters.

    Sammie
    sammiethestargirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. After working with Photoshop since version 4 in 1999, I realize that nobody really knows every thing that Photoshop can do. This makes remove image background it a great toy and tool, because there's always something new to discover.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for sharing this type of information. We hope you will share some more information about it. This is very helpful for me & for other who looking for imovie for mac. Visit our site & download it.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will appear here if it is approved. Thanks!